Innova and California Natural

7 Responses

1. Chris says:

Hi Julie…..I’ve been feeding Roman Orijen and am very happy with it. All of the ingredients are from a 100 mile radius of the factory in Alberta. All three dogs love it and are doing really well. Rita

• Karen Murray says:

Good for you Rita! Orijen (by Champion Petfoods, right?) is a “clean” food. It’s human grade. If you’re gonna feed a dry food, that is a good one! I don’t know what size dogs you have, and Orijen is a little pricey if you have several large dogs to feed, but have you ever looked at Wellness Core? A little more cost effective and a very clean food. BUT “if it ain’t broke……don’t fix it”! :~) Just change flavors with each bag so they don’t get allergic to it!
      Regards, Karen

2. Becky Perry says:

Good to know that’s a “clean” food! I’ve been feeding Schumi Orijen but it’s kind of a pain in the butt to get so I just bought some EVO.

3. Chris says:

@Chris
    Fortunately, there’s a great pet store near by that carries Orijen. Roman is about 75 lbs and we also have 2 shiba inus. It is a bit pricey, but all 3 can eat it and no one gets the poops!! So, for me, it’s worth it 🙂

• Karen Murray says:

@Chris, Hi Chris and Rita,
      Are you opened to rotating the Orijen flavors so that your babies won’t become allergic to one kind of food?
      Regards, Karen :~)

4. Lies Rosema says:

I use California Natural Limited Ingredient Diets (usually lamb and rice but sometimes the chicken one). We switched to this over a year ago, when one dog was having some sporadic issues that we couldn’t really nail down to a specific allergy, but decided to try a LID and avoid turkey. All three of my dogs are on it for simplicity’s sake. Only dog people understand this, but I gotta say their poop is best on this kibble, lol. They are all healthy, active, and we get lots of compliments on their coat condition. A random person ran up to my husband on the street to ask what we feed! I admit I also let the dogs lick dishes and sometimes have table scraps or stale food (within reason) and they get training treats, usually Natural Balance lamb food roll. My one concern is if it’s OK to feed them such a simple diet for an extended (indefinite I guess) period of time?

5. Karen Murray says:

@Lies Rosema, Hi Lies, Hope you are well! Calif. Natural is a better end food. Simple diet….ok. Forever…….not so much! Your dogs could become allergic to CN too! And “Poo” a necessary evil to always watch!!!! I just wrote Carole about Honest Kitchen Preference (see comments) that you can choose your own fresh meat AND rotate every day or so, which is SO important. Also sounds like your dogs might need some digestive enzymes. You can get the BEST one called “Pancreatin 8X Plus from Marina Zacharias (she is a Homeotoxicologist [homeopathic remedies]). You will also LOVE to read her “learning” & “articles”. Go to naturalrearing.com As for table scraps, that is all people use to feed their dogs and cats before dry kibble came into being 70 years ago! So they will be just fine with treats! Just not cooked fat. Dogs cannot digest cooked fat. Before you cook your chicken, cut a few chunks off, raw, and give it to your furry ones! Watch their eyes!!!!!! :~)
    Hope this helps! e-mail me with any other questions you have. I’d be happy to coach you thru a diet change if you decide to do so.
    Regards, Karen :~)