Homemade Natural Dog Shampoo With Insect Repellent

12 Responses

1. JK says:

I didn’t know lemongrass was an insect repellant! I put a few drops on my vacuum HEPA filter just because I like the smell. When I vacuum, which I did 4 times today (German shedders!), the air is scented with lemongrass.

Thanks for the recipe and the tips, Karen. Your wealth of knowledge never fails to amaze me.

2. Julie says:

I love it, thank you Karen. Tell me what you think of this, make the recipe without the Castile soap and use it as a spray between baths. spray it on and brush it in. I bet it would help with coat growth and removing lose hair, besides the obvious point of the scent being a bug repellent. What do you think?

3. josiem says:

I used to make this batch for Zeus as I hated putting chemicals on him. I’m doing this for Koda, thanks for the reminder Karen. You rock!!

4. Karen Murray says:

Ya know……that just might work! Bravo Martha….I mean Julie! 😉
    Let us know if it works!

5. Karen Murray says:

These are the mid priced ones. The way they are processed determines the quality of the product. I have another site at home, (can’t remember name…..sometimer’s kicking in!) that carries the very purest ($40/bottle) you don’t have to use quite as much and they last longer.
    Auracacia.com: click on shop, click on auracacia, click on essential oils, click on 100% pure.
    Also, Naturesalchemy.com: click on essential oils, scroll down and click on on line store, then click on shop for essential oils.
    Just FYI….the health food stores carry them too, but usually they’ve been sitting on the shelf for a year or so!
    Hope this helps. 🙂

6. JK says:

I buy mine at Whole Foods. They are reasonably priced there. I think the vial of lemongrass was $5 or $6.

• Karen Murray says:

The less expensive ones don’t have the potency the mid-priced ones do, so they won’t last long enough to get the effect you need for a repellent. They are probably fragrance oils or perfumed oils which are artificial oils. Essential oils are extracted from plants. Also, the different distillation methods determine the price of essential oils. Some companies market essential oils that have been cut with synthetic chemicals or blended with cheaper ingredients, which is another reason for price differences. An example of the very purest form? It would take 5000 pounds of rose petals to make 1 pound of essential rose oil which would cost over $100.00! WHOA 🙂

7. Carole says:

“For a rinse: mix 1/4th cup apple cider vinegar (not other vinegars) to 1 quart of water. Vinegar is also an insect repellent! Organic vinegar from the health food store is the best as it contains live enzymes, but grocery store vinegar will work too! Keep out of eyes during use.”

Couldn’t you use this formula, add your selected oils and use as your bug spray?

• Karen Murray says:

ABSOLUTELY! Now you’re getting your “Martha On” Girlfriend! 🙂
      Pick out 2 or even 3 essential oils such as Peppermint, Geranium, and Eucalyptus, and start with about 8 drops each to test out, then add more if you AND the dogs tolerate them ok! They will smell like a delicious salad! LOL

8. annie says:

la conservation du produit est de combien de temps